Curling has been a prominent part of the history of Bayview Golf & Country Club. In fact, some would say that curling put Bayview on the national map: host of the Canadian Mixed Curling Championships in 1985, and home of the 1983 Canadian Junior Women’s Champions and 1990 Canadian Scott Tournament of Hearts Champions. Bayview has leagues for young and old, social players or the more competitive minded.
Many curlers got their start as youngsters in the Little Rock program. In 1965, children as young as seven were able to learn the sport, playing with tin cans filled with cement. They threw their “rock” to a target half way down the ice. The cans were eventually replaced with empty Javex jugs filled with cement until ice maker David Padgett invented the “little rock” in 1981. These little rocks were made of dense plastic and were shaped like a curling stone (only smaller and lighter) and enabled young players to use the full sheet of ice. This was a great way for children to learn the skills of the game until they were big enough to use the real granite stones.
Aside from the in-house leagues, many Bayview curlers have participated in interclub events and have entered provincial playdowns. Bayview is proud to be the home to many provincial and national champions:
· 1982 Canadian Junior Women’s Runners-Up: Alison Goring, Kristin Holman, Cheryl McPherson, Lynda Armstrong
· 1983 Canadian Junior Women’s Champions: Alison Goring, Kristin Holman, Cheryl McPherson, Lynda Armstrong
· 1983 Canada Winter Games Gold Medalists: Alison Goring, Kristin Holman, Cheryl McPherson, Lynda Armstrong
· 1984 Canadian Junior Women’s Runnesr-Up: Kristin Holman, Kathy McCullogh, Carol Berringer, Lynette Greenwood
· 2003 Canada Winter Games (4th place): Michael Anderson, Sean Harrison, Chris Sanford, Michael Horner
· 2004 Ontario Winter Games Gold Medalists: Hollie Nicol, Hilary McDermott, Jackie Masongsong, Jenna Bonner
· 1987 Ontario Champions: Scott McPherson, Cheryl McPherson, Stuart Garner, Kristin Holman
· 1998 Canadian Mixed Runners-Up: Dean Wadland, Cheryl McPherson, Paul Wadland, Marian Arai
· 2015 Ontario Bantam Mixed Champions: Courtney Auld, Michael Morra, Cayla Auld, Matthew Morra
· 1990 Canadian Women’s Champions & World Championship Bronze Medalists: Alison Goring, Kristin Turcotte, Andrea Lawes, Cheryl McPherson
· 1995 Ontario Women’s Champions: Alison Goring, Christine McCrady, Diane McLean, Mary Bowman
· 1997 Canadian Women’s Runners-Up: Alison Goring, Lori Eddy, Kim Moore, Mary Bowman
· 2003 Ontario Best Western Challenge Champions: Jeanette Soo, Michele Gower, Jackie Horner, Jan Bennett
· 2007 Ontario Tankard Champions: Christy Trombley, Jeanette Soo, Andrea Lawes, Michele Gower and Joanne Heffernan, Juanita Soutar, Karen McCulloch, Kathy Millar
· 2012 Ontario Tankard Champions: Joanne Heffernan, Jackie Horner, Karen McCulloch, Jennifer Stemerdink and Julie Hastings, Jeanette Soo, Lisa Reilly, Melissa Cunningham
· 2015 Ontario Scotties Provincial Champions: Julie Hastings, Christy Trombley, Stacey Smith, Katrina Collins, Cheryl McPherson
· 1984 Ontario Intermediate Champions: Barry Goring, Ray Burton, Bill O’Connell, Bruce Patterson
· 1998 Ontario Masters Champions: Barry Goring, Ross Pearce, Murry Chambers, John Bayes
· 2013 Ontario Grand Masters Champions: Art Leganchuk, Dick Dahl, John Bayes, Bill Lingard
In addition to on-ice achievements, Bayview curlers have also been involved in officiating at local, provincial, national, international and Olympic events. Of particular note are Michele Gower, Keith Reilly and Linda Holman. Our members have also been representatives on the boards of the Toronto and Ontario Curling Associations. Michele Gower, aside from her many officiating duties is also a Past President and Honourary Member of the Ontario Curling Association.